pictures of passports

Dual Citizenship Pathway to E-2 Treaty Investor Visas

Citizens from dozens of countries qualify for an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa. Only countries who have entered into a treaty with the United States qualify. This leaves many investors in China and other countries with the EB-5 investor visa as seemingly their only option.

To qualify for E-2 classification, the treaty investor must be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation. They must have invested, or be in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in an enterprise in the United States. There is no set amount needed to invest. Showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position is an example of a substantial investment.

Accordingly, citizens of countries who are not able to receive an E-2 Visa may have an option to become a dual citizen of an E-2 Visa country. Once they are a citizen of an E-2 country, they can apply for the Visa. A notable example is the Citizenship by Investment Programme in Grenada.

Initiated in 2013, the Citizenship by Investment Programme enables persons to acquire permanent residence and citizenship of Grenada by either making a one-time payment into the National Transformation Fund; or making a payment towards an approved project in Grenada.

Personal Requirements for Principal Applicant:

  • 18 years or older
  • Be in good health
  • Have enough funds to make the required one-time contribution to the National Transformation Fund (non-refundable)
  • No criminal convictions in any country of any offense for which the maximum penalty for the same or similar offense in Grenada is in excess of six months imprisonment.
  • Not a subject of a criminal investigation
  • Not a potential security risk
  • Have not been denied a visa to a country which Grenada has visa-free travel and have not subsequently obtained a visa to the country that issued the denial.

Finally, once you complete the process of obtaining dual citizenship with an E-2 Visa Country, the process to obtain an E-2 Treaty Investor Visa can begin. An experienced attorney can help you through the process.

Henry Lim, an Orlando Immigration Attorney, can help you with your USA immigration and citizenship law questions regarding a work visafamily-based immigration, visitor visas, E-2 Visa & E-1 Visa, L-1 Visa, H1B Visa, F-1 Student Visa, and more.

Ask Henry Lim

Do you have a question for Henry Lim? During 20 years of practicing law, he has helped more than 10,000 families with their immigration issues. You can Ask Henry a question at or submit a video question by sending a link to one of our channels. For legal assistance, email or call for an appointment: (407) 512-9919. Our first consultation is complimentary. Learn more about Henry Lim.