Naturalization Process

Naturalization Process

Lim Law P.A. – Orlando & Central Florida Immigration Attorney

Naturalization is the process by which U.S Citizenship is granted to a national or foreign citizen, once they have fulfilled the requirement established in the Immigration and Nationality act. To apply for naturalization, you must file a Form N-400, the Application for Naturalization. (Click here to download)

General Naturalization Requirements:

  • Be 18 years old or older
  • Be a permanent resident (Green Card holder)
  • Has resided in the U.S for at least 5 years
  • Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance
  • Be able to speak, write, read and understand the English language
  • Has been present in the states for at least 30 months
  • Must be a person of good moral character
  • Knowledge and understanding of history and government of the U.S

Exceptions to these Naturalization requirements:

  • Many people can apply under three years of being a permanent resident.
  • Members of the military, who have not claimed permanent residence but served for at least a year, may be exempt from general and residence requirements.
  • A child under the age of 18 can automatically receive citizenship, if he/she has been a lawful permanent resident of the U.S and in legal custody of a U.S citizen.
  • If over the age of 50 and have lived as a permanent resident in the US for 15 years or more, the requirements for the English and civics test may be waived.
  • Exceptions to veterans of the United States armed forces.

Citizenship Test: In order to become a U.S citizen, you must pass the citizenship test that demonstrates knowledge on U.S history and government. Oath of Allegiance: When swearing in to be a U.S citizen, you take an Oath of Allegiance. You declare the following:

  • Renounce allegiance to foreign country
  • Support and defend the constitution and the laws of the United States
  • Bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law

There are exceptions to bearing arms on behalf of the United States if it is against your religious beliefs. You will be allowed to take a modified oath.

Ask Henry Lim
Learn more about Henry Lim. During 19 years of practicing law, he has helped more than 10,000 families move to the United States. For legal assistance, email or call for an appointment: 407-897-8870. Our first consultation is complimentary.

Schedule a consulation