Asylum & Refugee

Asylum & Refugee

Lim Law P.A. – Central Florida & Orlando Immigration Attorney

Asylum is the process of seeking protection for an individual who is already in the U.S to stay in the U.S., for fear of persecution once they return home. This fear of persecution is generally due to:

  • Religion
  • Political Opinion
  • Race
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group.

If the individual has felt persecuted or fears persecution, they can file an application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal. In order to be granted asylum, there must be proof of persecution or risk of persecution upon returning to their home country. Application should be submitted no less than one year after entering the U.S. Spouses and children may be included in the application.

If granted asylum you may petition to bring your spouse and children to the United States. To include your child on your application, the child must be under 21 and unmarried.

You may apply for a green card one year after you were granted Asylum.

Employment Authorization

You may apply for employment authorization 150 days after USCIS has received your complete asylum application, excluding any delays caused by you.

There is no fee to apply for your first EAD if you have a pending asylum application or if you have been granted asylum.

Lim Law's team of immigration attorneys handle various immigrant investor visas, including EB-5 employment based visas and E-1 and E-2 Treaty Trader Visas.
Schedule a Free Consultation