Treaty Trader Visas E-1, E-2, E-3

Temporary Work Visas

Citizens of foreign countries who wish to enter the United States must first obtain a visa. This can be either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. 

Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are for citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation.

Who Qualifies For An E-1 Treaty Trader Visa?

  • Individuals or companies with the nationality of the treaty country (at least half of the company must be owned by nationals of the treaty country.)
  • If there is substantial trade between the United States and the treaty country.
  • If the individual is either the principal trader who is coming to the United States to engage in substantial trade, or an executive manager, manager, or employee with special skills essential to the company.

Who Qualifies For An E-2 Treaty Investor Visa?

  • Individuals or companies with the nationality of the treaty country.
  • The individual or company has made or is in the process of making a substantial capital investment (relative to the total value of the company) in a bona fide business enterprise in the United States.
  • The individual is either the principal investor who will direct and develop the enterprise, or an executive, supervisor, or employee whose services are essential to the efficient operation of the U.S. company.

EB-3 Employment Based Third Preference

You may be eligible for this immigrant workers visa if you qualify as a skilled worker, professional, or other worker. As a skilled worker, you must show proof of at least 2 years of training or work experience. A professional must show a bachelor’s degree or a foreign equivalence. The petition is usually accompanied with a labor certification from the Department of Labor.

EB-5 Immigrant Investor Visas

The EB-5 visa is for foreign investors who wish to make a significant investment in the United States in order to receive permanent residency for themselves, their spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21. There are different requirements and forms depending on where you choose to invest your money.


Schedule a Consultation